Replacing and fixing a voltmeter in a Carver 325.



About a year ago, we had a power surge in the marina. Unfortunately, the surge fried one of my voltmeters on the shorepower panel. Since this is a 15 year old boat, it is sometimes hard to find a replacement.

The bad meter, a Hoyt Electric, Model 826R, was impossible to find. After contacting Hoyt Electric (www.hoytmeter.com), they indicated they might be able to suggest a replacement, but needed the "D" number on the front of the meter. I contacted them over the winter, and was not able to access the boat until the spring, so that project was delayed.

Then a reader of www.boat-project.com sent me a Carver Parts Manual for a Carver 326, and I was able to determine from that parts list that Carver used Shurite meters in later years. I did some research and found that the meter size was the same, and it appeared the Shurite meter just might fit. Many of these things are actually OEM'ed by a single manufacturer, but carry different brand names, and my hope is that this was the case here. I found a Shurite 8406Z meter at Allied Electronics, an electronic supply establishment I have used many times.

After receiving the meter, it sure looked identical, and in fact, it fit perfectly.

          

The Shurite meter is on the left, and the Hoyt meter is on the right. Other than the Shurite's zero adjust knob (which you can order without, by dropping the "z" from the part number), and the slight difference in the lettering, the two meters are almost identical. I also removed a piece of black plastic on the lower half of the bezel to match the existing meters. Since I have dual circuits, two voltmeters (one Shurite and one Hoyt) sit side-by-side in the panel, and the differences are not really noticeable. Well, the Hoyt meter to the right does look like its reading a bit low.

I also discovered that the plastic bezel on the Hoyt meter would even fit on the Shurite meter, and that I could remove the meter face and attach it to the new meter. I was about to do this, but when I dissassembled the Hoyt meter, I discovered the resistor was burned up.

          

So, I obtained a replacement resistor, re-assembled the meter, and now I have a good spare voltmeter. Sometimes, preserverence and the desire to do things correctly pays off.

 

Reader Comments

 


Home  Return